Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A funny thing happened at the computer store

So last night I ran over to MicroCenter needing to replace my flash drive that I use at work to run portable FireFox and Chrome (its 1GB and dying, now have an not dying 4GB for less than I paid 2 years ago for the 1GB).

 Well I get over to the section and one of the store workers was in talk to an older gentleman at the spot where all the flash drive are. It seems they had been talking for quite a while.

I don't know what drew me into the conversation, but it has been the oddest 20 mins of my life. The level of questions ranged from why I was choosing one company over another, size of drive, price... who I though would win out (no one, really). Just... rather inquisitive for a guy that honestly looked like the 'Buy for a Grandson/daughter' segment of the populous.

So, like I said, 20 mins go by and this guy finally lets out why he has all these questions: Apparently he's an inventor and was basically getting market research from us. Ya know, from person he thinks may buy his product.

He didn't really let on what his product was (I don't blame him really), but I think he did give a hint via a hypothetical question: If you some how had the ability to plug a flash drive into a HDTV and have it play movie/music/pictures (the last one he went into detail oddly with the story of having family that hadn't seen them yet yadd yadd yadd show them when you come over yadda yadda yadda), would you buy into it and use it? I think it was a hint, anyways. I could be done now with a Media Center PC, along with a lot more. But I guess for the Soccer Mom segment it would be nice.

No comments: