Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Spore DRM: How to buzzkill you're own product

So... I have a more or less hate/hate relationship with Spore right now.  I hate EA... have for year that I will enumerate later. So lets say off the bat that I know that I am biased.

But that doesn't even cover it. There are 3 sad letters that kill any WANT for this game: DRM. Digital Rights Management. And not just an odd bit of it like having to have the disk in the drive to play.

You get 3 installs... total. If you install and then uninstall, you still have burnt through one install. Not even iTunes is that fucked up. If 'deauthorize' your computer with iTunes, you get one of your 5 installs back. You can even (search it up) get iTunes to blast all authorized computers to start out fresh. Of course you can only use that once every 12 months. But you still get them back without being treated like a criminal.

From an Internet posting concerning Mass Effect, which has a similar scheme, if you go over with EA be prepared to be on the phone for a loooooong time. That and you have to send in a proof of purchase. Something that I don't even keep. Receipts and barcodes. How many of you diligently would keep them for a few years? I'm going to guess few. And you all have OCD :P

But seriously, I reformat my drive like twice a year to keep it fresh. That would mean I'd have a year and a half of gaming before begging. That still seems too short.

Oh, one last parting shot: This DRM was meant to keep the game from being pirated. As of 2 days before the game was to release a DRM-less version was already on The (Pirate) Bay. I can't help but laugh.

No comments: