Friday, January 7, 2011

General Mutton Chops, or How to Completely Own at Trivial Pursuit

Meant to put this blog post up but got lost in a shuffle. So anyways NYE was a fun time over at my sister Crystal's home with some of our friends. One friend brought a new, unwrapped Trivial Pursuit game. This one was odd, as the colors were not the category but each card had its own category.

So we had a "Kids vs Adults" game, two teams. Mid-game we came up for a wedge piece and pick "Facial Hair" card. The question was a picture one:

Who is this man and what facial hair style did he lend his name to?
We, the adults, were actually stumped for a while. We began asking "Those are mutton chops, right?" It was at this moment that my mind subconsciously started bringing the answer up. I asked "But I don't remember a General Mutton in the Civil War or anything, do you?"

I cannot explain how my mind works like this. I am, at heart, and archiver of knowledge. And when I get into a situation where trivial trivia works to my advantage it feels like a Chechov's Skill (Which is a sub-trope of Chechov's Gun. Warning, do not click either link as the TV Tropes vortex can suck up hours of time click-read-clicking-reading). 

Moving back to the story, slowly but surely the story of General Ambrose Burnside came up in my brain. And the credit for coining the term Sideburns to describe, well, sideburns. I mean look at him up there. That's like 4 inches of hair there. It's no wonder they named it after him. And yes, we got the question right, I danced around since we won a wedge (Adults ultimately won as well by the end of the night).

This event also brings me back to the memory of another holiday (this time Christmas) game of Trivia Pursuit (and again with same sister). The question was "What folk singer turned rocker bla bla bla"... I don't remember the rest of the question because that wasn't how I answered it. I just thought, what other person other than Bob Dylan is famous for switching musical styles from folk to rock?

No comments: