Monday, January 19, 2009

Radio Times: 103.1 and its many deaths

So Indie 103.1 had now died. Sadly I don't really have a tear for it simply because it feels like it is the most contested frequency on the dial. Below is a copy and paste of a post I made elsewhere, and I felt it was fitting to put up here.


Sadly, this isn't the first time 103.1 and closure have been in the same sentence. This has the be the most contested/flopped station on the dial, having been flopped a good number of times in the last 15 years. Going from memory:

MARS FM (Dance/Techno, never knew it existed until Groove was on the air and mentioned it)

CD 103.1 (Adult Contemporary)

Groove Radio (Dance/Techno, possibly the first time I really loved a station format. But it wasn't until KDL that I was into dance/electronic music)

Super Estrella (Spanish Music. Entravision owned KDLE and KDLD at the time)

KDL 103.1 (LOVED the station. Dance/Techno. Rico Banana has yet to be topped in morning radio IMHO. Used both KDLE KDLD sticks/call signs)


Independent Radio (ClearChannel bought KDL, fired staff, set up station to specifically compete with KROQ. They had to ditch/sell when the FCC complained they had too much of a monopoly in Southern California)

Indie 103.1 (What became of the above after ClearChannel left. Listened in a few times, but admittedly never was a fan because of the bad taste ClearChannel left me at the killing of KDL)

And now, like before, 103.1 is a Spanish station. To shorten the drama, I pray to ever god that has ever been worshiped that it stays like that. Miss dance stations, but can't for the life of me want to go through more pain/drama.

[Edit] Something to add to the story at this point: I remember the actual shutoff of KDL and the starting of Independent because I actually held a vigil, staying up until midnight and having a shot of Cuervo in memory of the fine station. Really left me bitter about ClearChannel.

No comments: