Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Holidamaswanzaule (and an update)

So this is my obligatory "Holidays" post and update on me. I'm sorry as I didn't mean to wait so long after I got out of the hospital (Thanksgiving day, in case you're curious).


*Stretches* So catching everyone up: After my last post I had another 2 days in the hospital; I didn't get out until Thanksgiving day, and even then rather late in the afternoon. I missed the dinner the school cafe was handing out, so mine comprised of a ham and pepper jack cheese sandwich, Buffalo Wing Doritos, and potato salad. Yeah, hobo and sad.

The surgery itself, to drain a hematoma, left me with this for a few weeks after it:
The picture is upright, knee is at top. And yes I'm very hairy, this was shaved rather well.
So I'm dealing with the fallout from this: I have these adhesive bandages on the knee that will come off as they "get done with their job" (quote from doctor, and about a third have done so as of today). The cellulitus was taken care of with a butt load of antibiotics. The last of which, oddly, I had an allergic reaction to and had a nice rash coming home. Felt like a heat rash. Cortisone cream was very handy during those first few days back out.

Past that I had to pick myself back up on school work: Trying to get work done while in the hospital was impossible. Oh, and I hate Vampires (aka those that draw blood for tests). I can't fucking stand having blood tests, and I got blood drawn every fucking night at 2am during my stay. Towards the last day they started having to use my knuckles to do it because the asshats had pushed my veins so fucking hard they'd started collapsing. I honestly had bruises coming home on my left arm (my right had the IV, which DIDN'T HURT ONE FUCKING BIT).
“I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds.”― George Carlin
Sorry for that. Anyways so catching up on work bled right into finals week. So I found myself sitting in the commons most nights, working on school computers (which were thankfully devoid of my precious, precious games), concentrating on the various final projects. This paid off in 2 ways:
Damn proud of myself with these. I've never been a straight A student, but this is phenomenal for me!
 Better than that: Because I got done so early I was able to leave a few days early to see my family in Bakersfield, CA:

Front: Father and Mother. Back: sister Shawna and her son Ken.
For those wondering not all is exactly well right now, namely my mother: That is a hospital gown she's wearing as she's in a nursing center right now. She got sick and hurt and might be over for a few hours tomorrow on Christmas but might be a few weeks away from being back at home. It seems like "Fall" is taken as a verb and season with my family XD.

So, next week I'll be at my other sister's place in Orange County, visiting my friends down there as well. Funny as it seems, it's only been 3-and-a-half months but it feels like forever now. Here's to a Happy Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa/Yule and a Wonderful New Year!

No comments: