Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The highs and lows right now.

This is gong to be a long update, get a cup of tea or something.

I’m going to dispense with the “sorry I haven’t updated in a while” post because honestly I’m not that sorry. When you get wrapped up in events around you that take your energy and time away from things you sort of want to do but really don’t need to do. I needed to do homework. I needed to pass my classes. I needed to get over the death of my grandmother. I also needed to find a way to build up my portfolio with projects so I can graduate easier and get into the gaming industry.

I dealt with trying to run our school’s LAN committee, which failed horribly on my part. I dealt with realizing 4 weeks into the semester that I had done no homework. I dealt with a decision to drop a class at that 1 month mark so I could balance myself. I dealt with fighting tooth and nail to maintain a 3 Bs and an A. I dealt with not being a happy camper in all of this.

Over the week long break (last week) I had a classmate here in the dorms that saw me on Thursday and told me “Dude, I thought you went away for break or something. I haven’t seen you in forever.” I think it finally clicked in for me that I’d been hiding in my room most of last semester. Also, in a way, hiding from a little bit of depression. Of/From What?
  • I miss my Granny* dearly. *Yes I called her Granny. She wasn’t Grandmother or similar. In fact saying anything other than Granny she’s make disapproving faces at you. Or deck you, either or.
  • LAN Committee:  I realize that some times I take give too much energy to enterprises that are failing. Moreover I can’t change that, no matter how much those changes would make me happier in the long run. I can’t force my view on the universe on everyone else.
  • My grades: As I said, I clawed for my grades last semester. Getting behind early is a quick way to find out how really well you can study/make up work. I look at those Bs more as a triumph than anything else.
So there. I wasn’t ignoring you or my blog. I was ignoring things I couldn’t get to and keep my footing. Even today I had to jiggle the handle on my schools registration system to re-register for the class I dropped. Dropped willingly and long before I would have had a grade added. I did realize something this morning as I walked out to the first day of classes this semester.

The sky was sunny, the air not too hot. Really thought about it and realized I’d missed being outside during the day. I’d had no reason to go out, during the day, other than for food runs over the break or maybe even before. I didn’t enjoy it very much then. And I was happy to finally see the brightness of day for once in a long while.

So to move away from the doom and gloom of the above, here’s what I’ve been up to on a positive side:

  • While I didn’t do astoundingly well in my classes, I also didn’t fail any either. Took some prodding on one teacher to grade my late work. I was nearly hyperventilating when I saw that I had a 54% in one of my classes. Then I realized there were a bunch of zeros where I had submitted late work and hadn’t been graded yet. A quick prodding of the instructor turned that grade to an 82%.
  • I’ve started doing my internship! There was a career fair on campus and I met up with the owner of Jacob’s Ladder Entertainment, who works with students on campus as a gaming company. I pretty much started working from the get go and we have some great stuff lined up (but we can’t post yet, keep fingers crossed).
  • Through a fluke I’m taking both 2nd level C++ and C# programming classes. I say fluke only because I signed up at the last moment for C++. See “jiggling the handle” that I talked about above. Do you know how hard it is to get a summer class that DOESN’T fucking conflict with everything else? XD
  • And I’m going to try and experiment for myself: Monday night posts. Just a random topic, something that caught my fancy over the week/weekend. Just do a quick writeup. We’ll see if I can get a pattern down.
Oi, enough with me now. I’ve got class in 8 hours and I’m not even asleep yet o_O. Ciao!

No comments: