Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sick and Insomnia

Yeah, remember my last post where I was hoping to go out more? Kinda got bronchitis as of last night. Which means 1-2 weeks of coughing. And being hopped up on cough meds.

Soooooooo, rather than waste this opportunity brought on by insomnia I thought I'd just post some things that are on my mind, 2 days into this semester's classes.
  • I'm learning no less than 3 game engines right now: 
    • XNA (Xbox Live/Indie Arcade)
    • Unity (Go to Kongregate from this link and play the games. Yes the plugin is safe)
    • UDK: All hail Unreal Technology. Think Gears of War and such.
  • I'm taking classes in 2 programming languages, C++ and C#
  • I had a rather poignant moment with a professor here about the difference between Programming and Scripting languages. I was summed up in one word: Compiled. If what you start off with is human readable and the end product is still readable, it wasn't compiled. This started after noting that while C# has a lot of scripting elements (Vector types, array length support, etc.) it still was a programming language. C# being compiled proves that even further. Python, which I know many of my classmates love, sadly, is NOT a programming language. Nor PHP or Javascript, which I used extensively when I was attempting to become a web developer.
  • I've realized I like learning stuff. A lot. Even if it's not useful to me I like knowing about it. I have a love of obscure knowledge. Remember, I used it to win at Trivial Pursuit years back.
Ok, done rambling, watching UDK tutorials that I hopefully learn from and they put me to sleep. Bye!

No comments: