Monday, May 28, 2012

The Monday Post: Big Huge's Big Layoffs

 So, less than 2 years ago I made this post, and more importantly took these two photos:














This was my first taste of what was to become... well let me tell you what happened this week. Baseball player Curt Schilling's 38 Studios and developer Big Huge Games shut their doors. Just... *slam*, you're gone, GTFO. Curt himself was seen driving off, box in the passenger seat of his BMW. Sadly, the shuttered employees (all 400 or so) aren't so lucky.

I have to sit back here for a moment, and realize I could be one of them in the future. BHG and 38 were paid quite a bit by Rhode Island to move there, but in the end they couldn't pay back that loan. All for making a game that I had high hopes for, but ultimately failed to deliver*.

Best wishes to the families of those laid off. Best of luck for myself to have a backup plan, a fall back plan, and backup contingencies for each. I hope.


*Before you question my thoughts, the only way to that game could have broken even would have been a 90+ rating. The 6.0 user score (at the time of this writing) is just the final nail in the coffin.

No comments: