Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Universe and I

I wrote this a few days ago, and I have no idea where it was going or even why I wrote it. I figured I'd post it so it gets out of my system.

The Universe stands before me like a pearl in an oyster. I stand before it and see the underlying geometry of the pearl, the moisture saturation level of the oyster. We, both the universe and I, have an understanding that this is perfectly symmetrical. Others see what they want, so do I. They see a valuable treasure, and so do I. I see treasure in knowing how it was created, rather than holding value in the object itself. Therefore there is symmetry in what the universe offers me and what I offer it.

I can replicate this in my mind, the pearl or the oyster. I can construct multiple instances of the object in my memory just as a computer might. I beat the computer in that I can grasp the concept of infinity: My mind knows no bounds. It does not have a stack, or heap, to reach the limit of and break. Even better, due to the amorphous nature of my imagination I can adjust the shape and size of either item.

Thus inside my mind I have the oyster and pearl already. Handing me the object only gives me the tactile sensory input of that item. I, too, and go into my mind and mimic this. I can create, but there is a problem. What I create is mine, but not the Universe’s. This is where it breaks down. I can have millions of conversations in my mind but they will not turn out exactly as I hoped. I can add all the ingredients for a tasty meal but it can come out burnt, disgusting, or even tasteless. I can misjudge emotions, distances, and tolerances. Here is where symmetry is formed. What I do in my mind stays in my mind. What the Universe does stays in the Universe. Unless I act upon the Universe nothing about that changes.

No comments: