Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Train crash avoidance

So I'm getting my hair cut at the barbers yesterday and discussion turned to the recent tragedy of a LA commuter train ramming into a freight. Right now the investigation is focusing on the MetroLink conductor that may or may not have been texting on his phone at the time.

But I'm not really concerning myself with this. Something else tickled my brain. As I and the barbers started talking the question of how the two trains didn't realize the others location came up. "There must be some GPS in there, right?" "I think so, don't you?" "Yeah, I'd thinks so." That was the gist of the talk.

Come to find out, rooting around, that there actually is one on the table, already tested in a few locations, that could be rolled out in 5 years. Moreover, the system in question would also have a last ditch kill switch which would have stopped the tragedy now faced.

I'm not for more rules. I know they're talking about banning cell phones from train operators. That I can live with. But why on fucking earth will you sit on your hands and not get something like a simple GPS installed in the trains? Cost? Please tell me the Fight Club's little adage of "A times B times C equals X" applies all the way to the point you have your head in the sand AND up your ass.

No comments: