Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Orange County Fair 2011, Part II: FOOD


So as not to kill everyone's browser I'm splitting these up into parts. I'll link each part here as I go along.
Part II: FOOD (You are here)

Alright then, I'm going to admit something here: I go to the fair just as much for the experience as the food. Yes I could probably find funnel cake elsewhere but at the fair there's a lot to choose from. 

My first stop, EVERY FAIR, is Australian Battered Potatoes. These things are like caloric crack:
That last one is a plate, with nacho cheese (also "Nah-chos, dey MINE!").

Cased it with a smoked turkey leg, from Juicy's:
Meat Club
No I also got, later in the day, got a fried veggie combo plate. That... didn't set well. Either something with the zucchini curls, fried artichoke, or fried mushrooms were bad. Possibly the batter as well. No pictures of that one, not recommended. I had to get ice cream to was it down, and I didn't even finish the plate.

Speaking of odd combos, I didn't find this one this year: The Zucch-weenie. Basically, take a zucchini, core it and insert a hot dog. Now treat it as if the whole thing were just a hot dog and turn it into a corn dog. Sadly this is neither healthy or tasty. Imagine a watered down hod dog taste with corn dog batter. Possibly why I didn't find it this year.

Anyways there were nibblings here and there. Later in the evening I got a pizza from Ten Pound Buns:
Late Night Food
Half way done with a "Latin Lover"
And lastly, you MUST have a funnel cake! There's a cosmic rule or something:
Simplistic and Yummy!

Ok, so getting through the food, I have a gripe/bad point to mention. Just after getting my plate of potatoes (read above) the Velvet Knights Alumni Drum Core started playing the Star Spangled Banner. Now I don't expect everyone to be patriotic but I am so I stood up, as in what you're supposed to do for the national anthem. So did 2 other ladies at my table. An Asian couple, with child, chose not to. So after the anthem was done I openly noted the irony I was about to eat Australian Battered Potatoes after that. The women giggles, but then uttered "Yeah so they [Asian Couple] didn't stand up did they. I guess they're not American."

No, really. That is verbatim. This country is founded on freedom of choice. Yes they should have stood up, but they didn't have to, nor did you have to open your bigoted mouth.

No comments: