Monday, July 25, 2011

Orange County Fair 2011: Part III: Entertainment


So as not to kill everyone's browser I'm splitting these up into parts. I'll link each part here as I go along.
Part I: The Entrance
Part II: FOOD
Part III: Entertainment (You are here)
Part IV: Rides


So I didn't mean to take so long to get the last parts of these posts out. Anyways were now talking about the 'Entertainment' at the fair. This is both the bands and exhibits, but not the carnival.

BANDS
Most of the bands I saw this year were exclusively at The Hanger.

Jetpack Armada: Not bad, can't really peg what style they are, so I'll guess rockabilly.
The Altar Billies: These guys are rockabilly, which I normally don't care for. They and Jetpack Armada are the first two I've given care to, for the reason that they are fucking great!
Last Day Off: Oh lord and lady are these kids young. They had to break for a moment due to technical difficulties and announced they were going to have "a recess." A mix of Death Cab For Cutie and acoustic rock. Which I later found out was just an oddity as they are generally plugged in. Notice no drum set either, just the drummer and a box. Nice idea.

Last of the "bands" this night was the Dueling Pianos. Basically you can make requests and give them tips to play what you want. Kinda a nice idea. 
Exhibits:
I've loved watching the glassblowing for years but realized that I've never sat through a whole showing of it until now:

Sadly also had to hear that he as a businessman isn't going as well as it could. He still has to eat, and there's only so much that gets sold.

There are also some street performers that roam the main area. Quite fun to follow for a while and watch.
Speaking of artsy things, I ran though the visual arts exhibits:
Vermeer + Teddy Bear == Awesome!
A Junkbot by another name
Initially hard to tell, but these are mazes. Pictures below are from the one on the left

I had to resist the urge to try to solve them XD

It starts out with the birds flapping
Then goes to the house rocking, with neon backing o_O

No good words to describe this one. Too fucking awesome
Oh and I also got to see a pie eating contest. I was in the back so I couldn't see very well. I decided to use my camera's continuous mode to get some pictures hoping one would be go enough to blog. After I was done I flipped through the pictures, again on the camera, fast enough to realize they made a mini movie. Thus, the idea for the next part of my adventure, The Rides, will be a conclusion to this idea. Oh and here's the contest, I forgot who won, someone on the right end I think.

No comments: